What is AWS SES Reputation & why does it matter
Amazon Web Services Simple Email Service (AWS SES) is a popular and robust email sending and receiving platform for businesses and developers. One of the key factors that determine the success of your email campaigns on AWS SES is your sender reputation. In this article, we will explore what AWS SES reputation is, provide tips on how to maintain a good reputation, and discuss the consequences of having a low reputation.
Understanding AWS SES Reputation
Your AWS SES reputation, also known as sender reputation, is a measure of your email sending practices' quality and trustworthiness. It is primarily based on factors such as bounce rates, complaint rates, and email engagement metrics. A good sender reputation ensures that your emails are more likely to be delivered to your recipients' inboxes, resulting in higher open rates and overall campaign success.
Tips to Maintain a Good AWS SES Reputation
- Implement email authentication protocols: Implementing email authentication protocols such as SPF, DKIM, and DMARC helps to protect your sender reputation by ensuring that your emails are correctly identified as coming from a legitimate source.
- Use double opt-in for list subscriptions: Implementing a double opt-in process for email subscriptions ensures that only interested and legitimate recipients are added to your mailing list, reducing the likelihood of bounces and spam complaints.
- Maintain a clean and up-to-date mailing list: Regularly remove invalid, inactive, and unengaged email addresses from your mailing list to decrease bounce rates and maintain a healthy sender reputation.
- Monitor email metrics: Keep a close eye on your email metrics, such as bounce rates, complaint rates, and open rates, to identify and address potential issues that may affect your sender reputation.
- Provide valuable and relevant content: Sending high-quality, engaging, and relevant content to your subscribers helps to foster positive engagement and reduces the likelihood of your emails being marked as spam.
- Make it easy to unsubscribe: Providing a clear and easy way for recipients to unsubscribe from your emails reduces the chances of receiving spam complaints and helps maintain a positive sender reputation.
Consequences of a Low AWS SES Reputation
If your AWS SES reputation falls too low, you risk facing several consequences that can negatively impact your email campaigns and overall business operations. The most significant consequence of a low sender reputation is the potential suspension of your AWS SES sending capabilities. This suspension can severely disrupt your email campaigns and, in turn, your ability to communicate with your customers or prospects.
A low sender reputation also increases the chances of your emails being marked as spam or being rejected by email providers, leading to lower inbox placement rates, reduced open rates, and decreased email campaign effectiveness.